Pets in Esterin come in two varieties: Companions and Familiars. Companions are non-combative (usually mundane) creatures that typically serve a role as a traditional working animals. Familiars, whether magical or mundane, are trained (or created to fight side by side with their master). These creatures are loyal to their masters and will carry out tasks as requested. If an adventurer dies, their pets will often die from grief, go rogue, or return from whence they came.
Your character can use a standard animal, fantasy trope creature, or an original creature from the Alamanac. Creatures with an asterisk (*) can be tamed.
Be sure to include your pets on your character sheet, including their name, a short description, and picture.
These are typically working beasts that have been tamed, raised, or purchased by an adventurer. These do not possess any combat ability, and will flee to safety at the first sign of danger.
- Players may start play with one or more companions.
- Companions may be any non-magical non-sentient creature within the Almanac (or common fantasy).
- Companions cannot participate in combat, and are effectively statless.
- Companions may be buffed outside of combat to enhance things such as their stamina, speed, or carrying capacity.
Creatures with a nigh-unbreakable bond with their master. Magical familiars are highly sought after, often hunted and passed down through family lines, whereas non-magical familiars represent years of selective breeding and/or combat training. While extremely loyal, familiar may rebel and/or abandon their master if mistreated, requiring the adventurer to obtain a new one. Magical familiars possess varying degrees of sentience and some are even capable of conversation.
To obtain familiars, the character must have unlocked an appropriate numbers of familiar slots, having met the pre-requisites for each. As you unlock more pet slots, the proficiency cap raises for all familiars as you develop your bond deeper and deeper. Each familiar obtained must be designated as either Physical or Magical and cannot be changed after creation. Familiars in each slot are chosen before combat begins, and cannot be resummoned in the same combat if they have retreated.
|Slot||Req. Level||Cost||Max Prof.|
Summon - Use your turn to change your active familiar.
Attack - Use your turn to instruct your familiar to attack a specific, single target.
- Familiar attacks are resolved by rolling your Familiar Attack (FAtk) against the target's AC or SR (based on familiar type).
- The summoner gains one point on FAtk per point of Charisma (CHA) they possess.
- A familiar's Potency, Alteration, and Duration are based off of the summoner's base values.
- Familiars do not gain the summoner's AP/EP/DVO bonuses, unless otherwise stated.
- Familiars only critically hit on natural 20, with a critical multiplier of 2x.
Wait - Instructs your familiar to hold back, allowing you to take an action of your own this round.
Familiars retreat when dealt damage from any source.
- Familiars have an effective AC/SR/DR of 0. This cannot be modified.
To prevent the familiar from retreating, the Embrace action may be used.
- Embrace: The summoner may reduce their current HP equal to the damage taken by the familiar.
- Note: This is a voluntary reduction and is not mitigated by DR.
All familiars summoned during combat receive proficiency appropriate to the CR of the encounter, plus any applicable bonuses.
- Note: All familiars that existed prior to the update receive 15% proficiency per character level (up to a maximum of 300%).
- Additionally, all summoners that existed prior to the update receive Familiar Slot 1 for free.
Each familiar ability comes in three tiers, noted in the ability description (as x/y/z). When obtaining an ability for the first time, it starts out at Tier I.
100% Proficiency (Minor Abilities) - Choose One
- Preternatural - Gain +10/20/30 FAtk when attacking a target with less DEX than the Summoner.
- Camouflage - Your familiar cannot be targeted if it took no action the previous round
- Fortification - Your familiar takes 10%/20%/30% less physical/magical damage. (Based on familiar type)
- Exploit - When affecting a single target, your familiar gains +1d8/2d8/3d8 potency for each debuff on that target.
- Growth - Temporarily increase your familiar’s Alteration by 3/6/9 each round.
- Protected - For 1/2/3 round(s), you may choose to intercept all attacks/spells that target your familiar.
- Choose One: +1 Tier to learned Minor Ability (or) +1 Minor Ability
400% Proficiency (Major Abilities) - Choose One
Note: Each major ability has a pre-requisite requirement which must be met before selection.
- Rend (Req. Preternatural) - Decrease target’s DR by an additional 5/10/15 points per successful attack
- Ambush (Req. Camouflage) - The familiar gains +5/10/20d8 potency when attacking an undamaged target or from camouflage
- Heavy Fortification (Req. Fortification) - The familiar has a 25%/50%/75% chance to negate physical/magical Critical damage. (Based on familiar type.True Strike/Normal damage still applies)
- Apex (Req. Exploit) - Treat each d8 granted by Exploit as 2d4/3d4/4d4
- Symbiosis (Req. Growth) - With each successful attack, apply a persistent DoT to the target. The Summoner gains a HoT equal to the same amount. Stacks 1/2/3 times
- Protector (Req. Protected) - For 1/2/3 round(s), the familiar may intercept all attacks/spells targeting a single party member.
- Choose One: +1 Tier to learned Minor/Major Ability (or) +1 Minor/Major Ability